Second British-Russian Symposium (ONLINE)
“Sovereignty and Global Justice”
Friday 24th and Saturday 25th April 2020
Co- Chairs of the Organizing Committee
Dr Antonov Michael V. (Department of Law, Faculty of the St. Petersburg, Higher School of Economics).
Dr Jorge E. Núñez (Manchester Law School, Manchester Metropolitan University).
Theme “Sovereignty and Global Justice”
This symposium aims to bring together academics from different disciplines, non-governmental organizations and activists to present, explore, and discuss ways in which we may address worldwide current issues by means of rethinking our understanding about sovereignty. The core aim of the symposium is to question whether there is a need redefine or reimagine “sovereignty” to reflect the complexity of current differences at the level of the individual and at the level of the state.
In light of the COVID-19 situation, we aim to use the opportunity towards exploring ways in which sovereignty may enable collaboration (rather than the usual absolute, exclusionary understanding of the concept in law, politics, international relations, etc.).
The online event will have pre-recorded and live presentations.
All final abstracts with the authors’ relevant contact details are below. The complete articles will only be shared with the organizing committee, other speakers and discussants.
FAO ASAP UK MEMBERS: Key areas of discussion include:
- Poverty discourse: flawed poverty discourse and measurement.
- Human rights: abuses and violations (trafficking, slavery, forced migration, asylum seekers, refugees, etc.), access (to education, health, job market, etc.), discrimination (direct and indirect), response to crisis and extraordinary events (for example, COVID-19).
- Democracy: lack of democracy (intra-UK and UK-lead in global governance).
- Financial: unfair rules of the financial system such as illicit financial flows and tax havens.
- Climate change: climate change and ecological destruction.
Enquiries: Any question please contact Dr Jorge Nunez email@example.com
Presenters and themes
Friday 24th April 2020, Sovereignty at the level of the individual
Saturday 25th April 2020, Sovereignty at the level of the state
EVENTBRITE FREE TICKETS (limited availability on Zoom):
The event will be transmitted live on Youtube and Facebook Live. I’ll send these details at a later stage.
Should you have any question, please drop me a line.
And please, feel free to disseminate!